Erectile Dysfunction is a medical condition wherein men struggle to maintain erection of penis for sexual intercourse. Majority of the men have encountered complications with respect to penis enlargement. However, it is regarded as a major concern only if sexual performance is not satisfactory from time to time. One of the setbacks is that it could significantly affect the level of confidence, stress, depression and relationship issues as well.
Difficulties in keeping an erection could be a sign of health condition which requires immediate treatment and contribute to heart diseases. Those who are concerned about erectile dysfunction may seek assistance of a doctor and take medications to rectify the problem.
What are the signs and symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction?
- Difficulties in getting erection of penis
- Complications in maintaining penis erection
- Truncated desire for sex
When to consult a doctor?
If you are facing problems with respect to Erectile Dysfunction, then it is highly recommended to approach a family doctor to:
- Discuss about difficulties in getting and maintaining erection of penis.
- Issues pertaining to delayed or premature ejaculation
- Seek help of a health care professional if you are suffering from chronic diabetes, heart diseases that are interlinked to Erectile Dysfunction treatment
What are the primary causes for Erectile Dysfunction?
Sexual desire of men is purely based on the functionalities of brain, hormone levels, mixed emotions, muscles and blood vessels that lead to Erectile Dysfunction. Similarly, intense stress along with mental health concerns could further worsen Erectile Dysfunction. At times, a blend of psychological and physical problems contributes towards Erectile Dysfunction. For example, a slight physical condition which hampers sexual response could trigger anxiety in getting erection of penis.
- Cardiovascular disease
- Chronic diabetes
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol levels
- Excess weight
- Parkinson’s disease
- Severe injuries
- Enhanced age
- Constant intake of drugs
- Alcohol consumption
- Passive smoking
- Sleep disorders
- Undergoing treatment for pro-state cancer
Some of the psychological causes for Erectile Dysfunction are as follows:
- Stress, depression and anxiety
- Unable to maintain relationships due to lack of communication
What is the risk factor associated with Erectile Dysfunction?
- If you are taking medications to alleviate diabetes and heart diseases
- Constant usage of tobacco obstructs the flow of blood through the veins as well as arteries
- Excess weight is yet another factor that contribute towards Erectile Dysfunction
- Intake of drugs like anti-depressants, antihistamines and similar medications
The concerned doctor raises questions pertaining to symptoms and past medical history. They perform Nocturnal penile tumescence test that is helpful in gauging overall quality of nocturnal erections. It is a small portable device that is powered by a battery and it is tied across the thigh whilst sleeping. This is useful for the doctor to analyze root cause of Erectile Dysfunction.